Van Dijk Educatie (VDE) is in the Netherlands the leading supplier of school books and other education information goods. From Kampen/NL VDE ship every year around 10 million school books to around 550.000 students for the secondary education and vocational training.
VDE has 135 people in the headquarter in Kampen. The logistic center has in the summer season 2500 seasonal workers like students – responsible for the shipment and inventory of the returned books.
The product managers of Van Dijk Educatie maintained the product information in different systems, of which one is the ERP system (BAAN) with limitation of fields and many workarounds. Other systems are MyL4L – My learn for life and Bob / Lisa. Interfaces between MyL4L and Bob/Lisa were only to the old BAAN system – but not to the new BAAN system. Data sets were not consistence and visible in one central overview. Price calculation was poor and a huge effort to change. The user interface for maintaining the data was very poor.
Furthermore, it was not possible to integrate supplier catalogs. The current, in-house built solution, had serious performance problems and export to the new webshop would be very complex from the old architecture.
Softlution started to write a Solution Design for the PIM project, together with the project team members of Van Dijk Educatie. The new system holds more than 65.563 products (will grow until 2010 to 200.000) with 4 different catalogue structures (Vakken, Methoden, Onderwijstypen, Technical). Van Dijk Educatie has 200 suppliers, of which 60 are major suppliers and 4 main suppliers.
The solution implemented was Heiler PPM 4.6 on a Windows 2003 Server and an Oracle 10g database. The new PIM solution is leading for all internal application regarding product- and catalogue information.
The following interfaces were made:
- Import Interface to BAAN ERP (Status information)
- Export Interface to BAAN ERP
- Export Interface to BobLisa
- Export interface to MyL4L (My learn for life)
Van Dijk Educatie achieved the following results from the solution implemented by Softlution:
- Quicker entry of product information into PIM and ERP (BAAN)
- Better overview of the product information
- Improvement in the product quality
- Enhancement of product texts (not limited in number of characters)
- Technical information
- Documents / Pictures
- Multi classification
- Mid- / Longterm: growth of product assortment and supplier integration
Want to know more about this project?
+49 (0)231 9860 396
- Bruna.nl (E-Commerce)
- Creative Hobbies Group - KnorrPrandell (E-CommercePIM)
- Elektroskandia (PIM)
- Eurail (E-Commerce)
- Kaiser + Kraft Europe (E-Commerce)
- KPN (E-Commerce)
- Levi Strauss (E-Commerce)
- Plutosport.nl (E-Commerce)
- Reed Business - Boox.nl (E-Commerce)
- Van Dijk Educatie (PIM)
- VINK (E-Commerce)
- Wildkamp (E-Commerce)